Information technology workers are in a growing and always changing field. You might work with computer hardware, software, multimedia, or network systems. You might design new computer equipment or work on a new computer game.
Some information technology workers support and manage computer hardware. For example, you might make sure the networks are working or manage a network that links people across the world. Or, you might support others and answer questions about specific software or hardware.
There are many hobbies and activities you could explore to learn more about information technology. Try one or more of these activities:
- Business Professionals of America (BPA)
- Skills USA
- School newspaper or yearbook
- Set up computers and install software.
- Job shadow the technology coordinator at a high school or college.
- Use multimedia for school projects.
- Create a web page for a local organization.
- Set up your own local area network (LAN) for gaming.
- Volunteer to provide technical support for a nonprofit agency.
- Create your own webpage with a database and interactive elements.
Source: Minnesota Department of Education and MnCareers